Sunday, August 27, 2006

BIG-BIG ADVENTURE ON SEATROUTFISHING


Arrived yesterday from Aurland and the Aurland river, have spent 4 days there hunting Seatrout with my flyrod.
There is no fishphotos in this article, I did not take any pictures of the small trouts that we got, they all with the weight 1 lbs and smaller, then when I had my big Seatrout-adventure, unluckily I had left the camera in my car.
The pics that I have added are only pics of the river, me casting and some of the gear that we used. Will try to write some words about the fishing instead, since I did not managed to have the camera with me at the most important moments.
The river have not been very good the last two years, nevertheless there have been landed big trouts at 20 lbs weight every year, and last saturday afternoon it was my turn:-)
5 years ago I had a fight with a 22-24 lbs Seatrout, the fight last for 15 minutes, and now it happened again in the same pool.
I was fishing with my Burkheimer 990 Saltwater, Orvis Vortex/Cortland Quick Descent 9 # line intermediate/fast sinking, and fluorcarbon tippetsmaterial, this is actually some of my heavy saltwatergear. I tied on a heavy gold head nymph # 8, a special pattern that I have designed with colours that is very effective in this river, the goldhead also with tungsten, of course tied on a powerful hook.
This is very special gear for seatroutfishing, but this pool is extremily deep, and the fish very big, I am only using this gear in this particular pool.
In other parts of the river I am using a #5 rod for dryflyfishing, a #7 rod for wetfly/nymphfishing, and a #8 rod for flyfishing at night.
Anyway, I had been fishing about an hour and the time was 2 pm in the afternoon when a big seatrout hooked my nymph. I could feel that this was a really big fish, I managed to use my cellphone and call my friend Nils who was fishing a few houndred meters up the river, and he came down with his big Salmon-net to assist me.
The fish was running the whole show, it jumped up over the surface a few times and then we got a good look and a idea of its size.
Nils meant that the fish was real big, he estimated it to more than 20 lbs, I did not disagree with him. Most of the time the fish was standing still on the bottom, sometimes it went up or down at the bottom. The bottom is full of big sharp rocks and imagine how my tippetmaterial looked like after a while around those rocks with Mr.Big-Seatrout at the end.
After 1 hour and 20 minutes my arms was like gele after holding the rod high and with hard pressure, and I could observe that a lot of spectators had gathered to watch my fight with the fish.
The situation almost caused a traffic jam on the road behind me, people stopped their cars in the middle of the road to watch.
It was dramatic, but after 1 hour and 20 minutes the fish conquered the hunter, lost it, but the fish had good help with the sharp rocks.
My o,279 fluorcarbon tippetmaterial was worn off.
I have had the pleasure to fight a giant Seatrout for 80 minutes, I have experienced this several times before but this time I was not alone, I had Nils by my side as a witness and many spectators around.
Only thing that I missing is that picture of the fish, but next time I will land it. Because, I am convinced that other opportunities will come.
Another funny thing, yesterday I gave one of my nymphs to a friend who is still fishing in Aurland, and he sent me a message to my cellphone one hour ago.
He had just landed a 12 lbs Seatrout on my nymph!
Well, I can comfort my self with the ascertain that my flies are effective:-)
I will return to the Aurland river two weeks from now, hope that I maybee can catch a nice Seatrout then, if not I have to wait until next year:-)
Chris <;))><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home