Thursday, July 20, 2006

GREAT DENMARK


I just want to add a little post from our trip to Denmark and Sweden.

Denmark is a country that I have had the pleasure to visit many times, and like my other visits there, this trip was also great.
As opposed to the Norwegian mountains and fjords, Denmark is flat as a pancake, almost the whole coastline is a giant beach. It is a beautiful country.

Norwegian people are quite introverted, prejudiced, conservative, and bounded by traditions, in Denmark the population are almost the opposite. Danish people are very open, relaxed, hospitable and international. There is many good things that I like about Denmark.

This trip was a holiday with my wife and children, not a fishingtrip. But when I am travelling I always bring some gear with me, you never know, suddenly there will be a opportunitie.

After spending almost a week at the westcoast of Denmark we visited some friends of us, who have a nice house in a small township 15 minutes drive from Copenhagen city. We stayed with them for two days, then early the second morning I got the opportunitie, gripped my gear and went for a little trip.



A five minutes drive away there is a beautiful lake surrounded by moisture wood and white cliffs. And the colour of the water is like turquoise.

The area is also home for a lot of snakes (european vipers, venomous, but not very strong venom ,only uncommon cases are potentially fatal). I did not meet any reptile this morning.

The lakes name is Karlstrup lake and it have a lot of fish, many different freshwater species and imported Rainbow Trout.

To fish in this lake we have to buy a fishing-licence, and it cost 120 DKK to fish there one day, and there is a bag-limit. The lake is under strictly supervision by the local angling club, and that is really necessary, if not the environment could easily be damaged. The local angling club is doing a very fine job here.


I rigged my Burkheimer 790, my Orvis Battenkill Large Arbour with a Scientific Anglers Intermediate Striper taper line and started to fish with different streamers and gold head nymphs.

After one hour of fishing I had only hooked one fish (quite big one to), and lost it immediately. Now I could see trouts starting to take insects on the surface.

Then it was time to rigg my Coho #4 rod, Lamson reel with Scientific Anglers GPX line and start dryfly fishing. Started with a great dryfly, a Europea 12. This is a fly designed by the famous swedish writer, pioneer, flyfisher and flytier Lennart Bergquist, which I have had the pleasure to meet several times, he once thaught me to tie the fly. Europea 12 have been the best dryflypattern in Sweden for many years. The pattern have always given me brownies when I have tried it in streams and lakes in Norway, and the fly also worked perfect in Denmark!

I will also add that Lennart have designed many, many patterns, especially dryflypatterns and many of them are famous fishkillers worldwide.


I did not need many cast before I had hooked my first Rainbow, and the next hour I got several fishes. Lost the biggest ones of course, the ones that I landed was small ones, about 0,5 lbs. Released them of course. But it was really great, I could see the trouts rise from the bottom and take the fly, fantastic!



Well, I had a great morning at the lake, weather was fantastic, sunny with 25-30 centigrade.

Satisfied I drove back for a late breakfast and other activities with my family and friends.


Among other adventures we visited a big oak forest just outside Copenhagen city, and that was amazing. We watched houndreds of Deers and Fallow Deers, many of them real tame. We even observed white Fallow Deers, and that is uncommon.


We spent the last two days of our holiday in Sweden, a beautiful country with a fantastic coastline. Now we are back in Aurland and we have 10 days left of our holiday that we will use for swimming, fishing trips and more summerfun.

Have posted some photos from Denmark and my fishing (small fishes, anyway...).

Chris <:))><

1 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Hullo : )

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home